Tuesday, May 13, 2014

First Day Results

 So much to tell, so let's get to it!


This first picture is proof we made it to Delhi. It was a long 14 hours, but we made it through Immigration and Customs and got a quick bite before heading off to Jaipur--the Pink City.

We got to experience night-Dehli traffic which was chaotic, to say the least, but more importantly to note, it was like listening to a traffic-horn symphony. Apparently in India, the car horn is almost like a greeting or a "hey, I'm here!"

Because we were tired and we had a five hour bus ride ahead of us, it soon become a lullaby...

 The Pink City, and our first official day as tourists. Not all buildings are this ravishing salmon, but many are. We had a packed day of touring the city, including Jantar Mantar (below), where we saw sun dials built in the 17th century. This is merely one of many, and they are incredibly accurate.

We also tried our hand at the Bapu Bazaar, where I do have to brag that I haggled Annu (yes, we got on a first name basis once he realized I was serious....heh) down from 2,050 to 480 on a kurta and pants. I was quite proud. The bazaar was packed, and we took liberties of shadowing Indian shoppers today to get a glimpse into some key aspects of how they shop. A few takeaways I found were, it's okay to be picky. In fact, it's okay to have the shop owner pull out as many sarees and spread them on the floor for you as you want--you're the shopper, and you should get what you want!

We're riding elephants in the morning up to Amer Fort, and I'm looking at only a few hours of sleep... I'll write again as soon as I can.

Love to all in the west!

No comments:

Post a Comment